Information for Japanese students

Admission to the university:  General instructions for applying for admission to the University of Wuppertal etc. can be found here.

Entry to Germany:  If you are a Japanese national, you can enter Germany just by showing your Japanese passport, you do not have to apply for a visa in advance. If you are staying in Germany for more than three months, you will have to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis. Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) from the German immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde), but you must do this after arriving in Germany.

We give here links to the general regulations for "entry and residence" and "pursuit of gainful employment" in Germany (as provided by DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service).

Even though you do not need a visa to enter Germany, you still need some additional preparation for your stay if it is longer than three months. In order to obtain a residence permit from the German immigration authority, you need to be able to prove that you have sufficient financial means to cover your living expenses in Germany. The easiest way of doing this is with a "Verpflichtungserklärung zur Vorlage bei Grenz- und Ausländerbehörden" (Declaration of commitment to be presented to border- and immigration authorities) issued through a German diplomatic representation in Japan, most notably the German Embassy in Tokyo or the German General Consulate in Osaka.  It is a statement by a person in Japan, typically your mother or father, who guarantees to cover your living expenses in Germany. You can see an example of this document on the picture; please click the picture for a larger version. Please contact the German Embassy in Tokyo or the German General Consulate in Osaka to arrange for this document to be issued before you travel to Germany. Note that the person issuing the guarantee (i.e., normally your mother or father) must go to the Embassy in Tokyo or to the General Consulate in Osaka in person. This is particularly problematic for inhabitants of Okinawa who must travel to Osaka. The General Consulate points out that Okinawans should take contact to the consulate staff before they leave for Osaka in order to make sure that they have all required documents

Weitere Infos über #UniWuppertal: