Residential registration (Anmeldung)

If you are staying longer than 3 months, you must register at the Residents' Registration Office Wuppertal (only available in German) within 2 weeks of your arrival in Germany. The process is only possible with an appointment. Use this link to make an appointment with the office (only available in German).

The address of the office is:
Steinweg 20, 42275 Wuppertal
(near "Alter Markt" Schwebebahn stop in Barmen)

Opening hours

Monday + Friday       7.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.
Tuesday + Thursday  7.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Wednesday               7.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.

If you live in a different city or municipality, you must register at the Residents' Registration Office there. You must either register personally or authorize someone else to register for you. There is no registration fee.

The following documents must be presented:

  •     valid passport or identity card
  •     lanlord's confirmation of Residence ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung")

Residence permit (Aufenthalterlaubnis)

Travelers to Germany require a recognized and valid passport or ID document. Non-EU citizens additionally require valid authorization of residence in Germany in the form of a visa or residence permit.

Authorization of residence is granted or extended by appointment with the Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the city or municipality where you live. If your residential registration is in Wuppertal (see point 1 above), you should apply for a personal appointment for a residence permit at the

Stadtverwaltung Wuppertal, Ressort Zuwanderung und Integration 204.4
Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbehörde)
Friedrich-Engels-Allee 28
42103 Wuppertal
Phone +49 (0) 202 563 4005.

Opening hours:

Monday to Friday from 7.00 until 12.30 p.m.,
additionally Thursday from 2.00 until 5.30 p.m.

When making the appointment, the Foreign Citizens' Office will let you know which documents are required. Furthermore a fee up to 110,- Euro will be charged.

For further information in various languages visit the website.

EU citizens

EU and EEA citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement do not need official authorization of residence in Germany. For an overview of entitlement visit this website.

Confirmation of residential rights in Germany is no longer issued!

Address & Contact

Bergische Universität Wuppertal
Abt. 3.3 - Internationales Studierendensekretariat (student admission and registration)
Gaußstraße 20
42119 Wuppertal

Personal consultation hours in the SSC right at the main entrance (building G):
Mon - Thu 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. 

Telephone enquiries and advice:
Mon 10.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.  (Tel.: 0202 - 439 3264)

Wed  2 -  4 p.m. (Tel.: please see contact persons & responsibilities)

Contact persons & responsibilities


More information about #UniWuppertal: