Absolventen der Kgl. Vereinigten Maschinenbauschule Elberfeld-Barmen, Jahrgang 1908 (Foto: Universitätsarchiv, UAW070800200009)
UW´s Predecessors - Higher Education in the Wuppertal Region
A Higher Industrial School starts training engineers in Wuppertal.
This institute is renamed the Royal United Elberfeld-Barmen School of Mechanical Engineering.
Opening of the Barmen School of Applied Art.
Foundation of the Royal Prussian School of Civil Engineering (Elberfeld-Barmen).
Opening of the Prussian Higher Technical School for the Textile Industry in Barmen.
Foundation of the Higher Technical School for the Graphic Design Industry.
Foundation of the Teacher Training Academy, Wuppertal, with 200 students admitted for the winter semester.
The School of Industrial Art takes over the tradition of the School of Applied Art and opens a new Department of Industrial Design.
The Teacher Training Academy, Wuppertal, becomes a School of Education.
The Higher Technical School for the Graphic Design Industry becomes an independent institute of the School of Industrial Art, incorporating two departments: Typography/Layout and Printing Technology.
The Remscheid School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering opens for the winter semester with 400 students (the Wuppertal institute is now training over 500 engineers).
Three Schools of Education in North Rhine-Westphalia are merged, with Wuppertal now becoming part of the new Rhineland School of Education.