Requirements for participation in German-language degree programmes
Before enrolling in a German-language degree programme at Bergische Universität Wuppertal, foreign-language applicants must prove that they have the German language skills required for admission to the degree programme.
Proof is provided by taking the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH) at least at the DSH-2 level. The prerequisite for the DSH conducted at the university is proof of German language skills at least at the C1 level.
Those who can present one of the following certificates are exempt from proving their linguistic ability to study in the form of the DSH-2:
- TestDeutsch als Fremdsprache" (TestDaF) with at least the result TDN 4 in all partial examinations
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
- Deutschen Sprachdiploms der Kultusministerkonferenz (German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs) - Second Level (DSD II)
- Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP) of the Goethe-Institut
- Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) or Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule (university)
1. Admission to the DSH examination
Applicants who have a German language certificate for level C1 (or equivalent knowledge) but do not yet have a DSH-2 certificate or one of the above-mentioned language certificates have the opportunity to take the DSH examination at the University of Wuppertal. After passing the exam (DSH-2 or DSH-3) you can enrol for your desired degree programme.
- You apply via uni-assist for your desired degree programme and upload your C1 language certificate together with your application documents.
- After a positive review by uni-assist and forwarding of your application to the University of Wuppertal, you will first receive admission to the DSH examination and conditional admission to your degree programme.
- You register for the DSH examination and have the opportunity to prepare for the examination in advance free of charge by attending an online lecture at the Language Teaching Institute of the University of Wuppertal.
- The fee for the DSH examination is 150 euros.
- After passing the DSH examination (DSH-2 or DSH-3), you can then enrol for the degree programme you have applied for and will receive all further information from the international student secretariat regarding payment of the semester fee, the semester ticket and access to the StudiLöwe portal.
2. Admission to the preparatory German language course
Foreign-language applicants who can prove that they have a university entrance qualification for a Wuppertal degree programme but do not yet have sufficient German language skills have the opportunity to take part in preparatory (full-time) German language courses.
Foreign-language applicants who are admitted to an English-language degree programme at the University of Wuppertal have the opportunity to improve their German language skills in various courses accompanying their studies.