Navigationsweiche Anfang

Navigationsweiche Ende

Select language

 

UW´s Predecessors - Higher Education in the Wuppertal Region

1863

A Higher Industrial School starts training engineers in Wuppertal.

1898

This institute is renamed the Royal United Elberfeld-Barmen School of Mechanical Engineering.

1894

Opening of the Barmen School of Applied Art.

1897

Foundation of the Royal Prussian School of Civil Engineering (Elberfeld-Barmen).

1900

Opening of the Prussian Higher Technical School for the Textile Industry in Barmen.

1938

Foundation of the Higher Technical School for the Graphic Design Industry.

1946

Foundation of the Teacher Training Academy, Wuppertal, with 200 students admitted for the winter semester.

1949

The School of Industrial Art takes over the tradition of the School of Applied Art and opens a new Department of Industrial Design.

1962

The Teacher Training Academy, Wuppertal, becomes a School of Education.

1963

The Higher Technical School for the Graphic Design Industry becomes an independent institute of the School of Industrial Art, incorporating two departments: Typography/Layout and Printing Technology.

1964

The Remscheid School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering opens for the winter semester with 400 students (the Wuppertal institute is now training over 500 engineers).

1965

Three Schools of Education in North Rhine-Westphalia are merged, with Wuppertal now becoming part of the new Rhineland School of Education.