Study and exams - FAQs
On this page you will find answers to the most important questions on the winter term 2020/21.
Information concerning the organization of the university in these tims, on health protection and much more can be found following the link current measures.
- What will the WiSe 20/21 look like? (10/2/20)
The university has set a general frame for a "hybrid semester": There should be as much presence as possible. Courses in presence are offered primarily for the critical passages in the student'a life cycle (start, transitions, graduation). The number of participants is limited to 50 per course, and only half of the seats in a lecture hall will be occupied. Courses or seminars are offered twice or alternately in attendance. There are also be completely new classes or courses.
Students can book working places to attend courses in distance mode during the pause between two courses in presence.
- Which lectures and seminars can be held on campus? (2 October 2020)
Lectures and seminars with up to 50 participants can be held on campus if only every other seat is occupied in a classroom. This means that one seat must remain empty between two occupied seats. For seminar rooms this implies that only one person sits at each desk.
- With academic quarter (c.t.), without academic quarter (s.t) or completely different: At what times do the lectures and seminars begin and end? (2 October 2020)
Lectures and seminars in the winter term 2020/2021 always begin quarter past and end at a quarter to the hour. This is to ensure that groups of students attending consecutive lectures or seminars do not meet on their way to or from the classrooms.
Presence at the university
- Why do we have to register seat and matriculation numbers and how does it work? (2 October 2020)
Due to legal regulations a simple or specific traceability has to be ensured for each lecture, seminar or practice-oriented activity. This is achieved by recording the seat and matriculation numbers of the students in all teaching or practical courses.
Teachers will find a manual (printed forms and instructions) under the heading “Forms of Administration” (Formularschrank der Verwaltung) on the University administration website under the section Study, Teaching and Quality Management.
- How can I reach the ZIM if I need to renew my electronic access?
- Can I use the internet café or the IT training rooms at ZIM?
No. The Internet café and the IT training rooms are still closed. Further information about the Service of the ZIM.
- Can I meet with study groups at the university?
At present (as of 14.07.) this is only possible in severely restricted form and only at some of the departments. Information can be obtained at the dean‘s offices. The currently valid regulations on hygiene and distance must be observed and complied with (see in particular the "Coronaschutzverordnung" in its currently valid version at https://www.mags.nrw/coronavirus-rechtlicheregelungen-nrw). In addition, it is required that any contacts can be traced back.
- What sports activities are currently available at the university?
Information on the activities offered can be found on the university sports pages Corona-FAQ.
Information on your study program
- How will I be kept up to date about the course of studies?
For general information, please check this website on a regular basis and follow the university's social media channels. If necessary, the Vice-President for Academic Affairs will also inform you by e-mail via his newsletter.
Information on the individual study programs including FAQs can be found on the websites of the respective departments. If necessary, they will also inform you by e-mail.
- Do the departments have any further information?
Yes, all departments provide further information on their own web pages.
- School of Humanities
- School of Human and Social Sciences
- Schumpeter School of Business ans Economics
- School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- School of Architecture and Civil Engineering
- School of Electrical, Informational and Media Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering and Safety Engineering
- School of Art and Design
- School of Education
- Information Office of the School of Education
- Who can I contact if I have any suggestions?
- Where can I find the Vice-President for Academic Affairs Newsletter?
The list of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs Newsletter is available here.
- Am I allowed to recrord ZOOM meetings for future use?
No. Courses which are taught using a video conferencing system will inevitably transmit audio and video material of fellow students and teachers which would then also be recorded. Recording is only allowed if all participants explicitly agree. They can revoke their agreement at any time.This also applies if you want to record just for private use.Category: Prüfungen
- How can I reach the central examination office?
Physical consultation hours are currently not available. You can reach the staff at the central examination office by phone or e-mail contacts.Category: Prüfungen